Hi All !
2015. Wow. That’s probably the best way to sum it up. Once again this adventure we call Blueflash has taken us to new places that we couldn’t have ever imagined. So much has happened over the past year and we’re incredibly thankful for everybody that was a part of it – most especially our awesome brides and grooms that have entrusted us to be a part of their wedding day.
Really. From the bottom of our memory cards. We mean it.
Why are we so thankful? Because we were able to be a part of so many weddings, meet a ton of awesome people, and do what we love over and over again. You guys let be a part of 113 weddings this year. That is completely outrageous. I always like to break down some stats and compare them to the previous year. Here goes.
We photographed 82 weddings (In 2014 we photographed 58)
We made 54 wedding films (In 2014 we filmed 27)
The Bluecube got invited to 56 places (In 2014 it was at 43 events)
We provided uplighting for 7 weddings (in 2014 we didn’t even offer uplighting!)
We provided event coordination for 6 weddings (coordination was just introduced this year)
In addition to that we have been building out our commercial and corporate side of the business and got to do a pretty decent amount of work in that realm (https://www.blueflashphotography.com/commercial if you’re interested). Add some family sessions and other miscellaneous things to the mix and you can see that we kept ourselves pretty busy!
Here’s some other numbers and milestones and fun 2015 facts:
– We delivered over 50,000 final edited photographs to wedding clients this year
– We won Weddingwire’s Bride Choice Award for the fifth year in a row
– We won TheKnot.com “Best of Weddings”
– We got the cover photo on Newport Wedding Magazine
– We launched a new service: Uplighting
– We launched another new service: Event Planning, Coordination, and Design
– We launched yet another new service: Boudoir sessions
– We launched even ANOTHER new service: Aerial photo and video with our new drone!
– We got be a part of an incredible destination wedding in Puerto Rico which we photographed, filmed, and coordinated
– We got published in a handful of bridal magazines (SNE Weddings Destinations, RI Monthly Engaged, etc…)
– We were RI Monthly’s Official Photographer and Cinematographer (and are again for 2016)
– We took part in a few bridal shows, including one in Manhattan
– We released our own rendition of I’ll Be Home For Christmas (missed it?! Watch it HERE)
– We survived
Just like last year, we had quite a few additions to our team this year. Here’s how the face of Blueflash has changed:
– Kearsten, Fred, Brian, Jaimie, and Kim joined the team as photographers. Kearsten helps on the back end with post production as well and Brian has jumped in to help out with cinema when needed. It’s been awesome having these talented people in the mix.
– Breanna came on board to help out with some behind the scenes things, namely the blog. She’s been writing almost all the posts and is helping us work through our giant backlog of blog entries that need to be written. If you’re wondering, I (Matt) am writing this one, though. She has also stepped up to help with Bluecube and documentary add-on when needed.
It’s really exciting when new people join the team. It’s hard to find the right people for a variety of reasons. It’s totally worth the effort when you do, though. These guys are some of the most talented people out there and they all care intensely about what they do.
We’ve also had some crossovers in 2015. Caleb started with the Bluecube but has done some uplighting and can now hold his own in the cinema department as well. Abby started with Bluecube and also added uplighting to her resume. The versatility of the team is a really cool thing to see.
We mentioned above in the “Fun Facts” section about the new services we launched this past year. For 2016 we don’t have any plans to introduce any new services. Instead we’re going to focus intently on client experience and really make the whole process as enjoyable and awesome as possible.
I think we are in a good place with what we’re able to offer brides and grooms and now want to optimize and improve it all as much as possible. One way to do this is by Britt taking the role of full time studio manager starting in March. I think this will be a huge step toward really serving our clients in the best way possible.
It’s a big step for us but are confident it’s the right move and are really excited about the possibilities it will enable, especially on the client experience side. In the end we just want our brides and grooms to walk away loving every bit of the experience with us and I think having Britt on full time will be a giant leap forward in that department.
I’m shamelessly lifting the following text from last year’s recap blog post (and changed the dates) because I feel the same way again as I did last year.
As humans we’re never sure what the future will bring. We can only anticipate, plan, hope, and trust in God. I think this upcoming year will be another exciting and crazy one, topping the prior one just like 2015 did to 2014. This crazy adventure is a lot of fun and we are so appreciative of all of you that have come along with us to be a part of it at one point or another.
It’s not about all the numbers that were listed above, though it’s cool for us to look at them as a metric for growth and progress. I’d be lying if I said it weren’t. It is, however, about doing what you love with people you respect and admire. I get to do that every day, which is more than I could ask for.
Thanks 2015. Here’s to 2016. Hope you all have a great New Year!